ALDI Australia takes Finder’s top spot and is named 2023 ‘Green Supermarket of the Year’.
The results are in and today (which is coincidentally World Environment Day), The Finder Green Awards have recognised ALDI Australia’s ongoing commitment to sustainability naming it ‘Green Supermarket of the Year’.
Daniel Baker, Sustainability Director at ALDI Australia comments, “We are absolutely thrilled to have our efforts in this space recognised and be named Finder’s ‘Green Supermarket of the Year’ for 2023. We are absolutely on a journey as a business to deliver against the ambitious sustainability goals we have set for ourselves. This award is great recognition of the work we have done so far, but we will certainly not slow down and there is certainly still work to do.”
The Finder Green Awards celebrate companies and products leading the way in sustainability across key comparison categories including shopping, banking, insurance, superannuation, and telecommunication, to help Aussies make better decisions for them and the planet.
The win celebrates ALDI’s leading sustainability efforts including being the first and only supermarket to be powered using only 100% renewable electricity, as well as its ambitious waste reduction targets.
The award also comes as ALDI announces the national phasing out of reusable plastic bags with the introduction of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper bags, as the latest step in the supermarket’s mission to reduce plastics.
Baker continues, “It is fantastic to receive recognition for our dedicated sustainability efforts and our ongoing commitment to making a Good Difference. We know just how important sustainability initiatives, such as our commitment to use 100% renewable electricity, are to our customers. That is why we’re always looking for what more we can do to care for both people and the planet. This award is proof in the pudding that we can protect the environment, whilst continuing to deliver great products at Australia’s lowest prices.”
Other ALDI key sustainable living initiatives and achievements include:
- ALDI was the first, and is the only, Australian supermarket to be powered by 100% renewable electricity
- ALDI was the first Australian supermarket to start removing plastic straws from drinks cartons
- ALDI was the first Australian supermarket to remove single use plastic tableware from its shelves and the first to replace plastic cotton buds with a paper-stemmed version
- ALDI has never offered single use plastics carrier bags
- All ALDI paper and pulp-based products are certified sustainable or use 100% recycled materials
- ALDI was the first Australian supermarket to launch a battery recycling program
- ALDI is committed to sending zero waste to landfill by 2025
Learn more about ALDI’s sustainability efforts here.